Asian “Best” Film & TV – ATF Chinese Pitch 2021
What is 亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021?
亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021 is the premier Asian pitching competition for creators and producers of innovative concepts for new and original scripts for the development of a theatrical/online movie (Pitch 1), and an online drama series (Pitch 2).
This is an initiative by the Asia TV Forum & Market (ATF, December 1—3, 2021), and sponsored by G.H.Y. Culture & Media. This is a platform to showcase the Asia market and expose ideas for export and development in all Chinese-speaking territories.
Pitch your idea in front of some of the industry’s most experienced professionals. In addition, leading commissioning editors will be offering advice and commentary on the ideas pitched that will run in Singapore on Tuesday, 7 December 2021.
Who can apply?
亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021 is open to all creators and producers from across the globe to present their new and scripts for the production of an theatrical/online movie and/or an online drama series.
What is the minimum age to apply?
16 years old and above.
What are the criteria for selection?
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Creativity / Originality / Innovation
- Premise / Concept
- Story Structure / Plot
- Characters / Dialogue
- Style / Tone
- Commercial Potential
The selected projects will also have to be:
• Presented in the Chinese language*
• Potential to travel to all Chinese-speaking territories globally.
• Projects must be new and original script concepts which have not been commissioned or broadcast on any other platforms yet and for which the worldwide rights are still available.
• All genres are accepted
* English entries will be translated into Chinese, as all finished production is targeted at Chinese-speaking territories globally.
* Translated entries will not be relinquished to participants, however, if a participant intends to secure his/her translated script, he/she may do so at the gross fee of the translation, to be disclosed by G.H.Y. Culture & Media.
* Submitting all entries in Simplified Chinese where possible is encouraged to maintain the integrity of the script.
* Translated scripts will not be released in any form, and serves only as a means to facilitate judging by Chinese-speaking judges. Non-Chinese speaking finalists will need to engage a Chinese-speaking proxy to pitch on his/her behalf on the day of the Live Pitch.
How do I submit my project?
Submit your project by completing the online Pitch Entry Form and agreeing to ATF Chinese Pitch 2021 Rules and Regulations by 31 August 2021. You will be requested in the online Pitch Entry Form to upload your pitch presentation – a WORD document, in English OR Chinese, including:
• An opening paragraph that summarises the pitch or logline (30 words max)
• A synopsis (400 – 500 words), treatment (4,000 – 5,000 words) and character breakdown
• A realistic detailed budget
• A clear statement of the target audience
• A biography/filmography of the producer/writer/director, including a track record, if any
• Any other relevant materials like:
o Commitment from investors, broadcasters, distributors, if any
o Commitment from sponsors, brands, media platforms, technology partners, if any
How many times can I apply?
Each company can submit up to 2 projects.
Is there any cost to apply?
No fee is required to enter a project in the competition.
Do I have to be registered at ATF to enter the pitching competition?
No, to enter the pitching competition, it is not required to be registered at ATF.
What are the key dates and deadlines?
• Call for entries opens online: 1 July 2021
• Deadline for treatment submission (Round 1): 30 September 2021
• Deadline for Semi-Finalists to submit Full Script*: 1 November 2021 (English script) / 8 November 2021 (Chinese script)
• Announcement of finalists: 25 November 2021
• Final Live Pitch: 7 December 2021
*Full Script for the theatrical/online movie pitch and an episodic synopsis + full scripts of the first 3 episodes for the online drama series pitch.
A representative of the finalist projects is required to be presence at the online pitch session, each finalist is given a strict 3 minutes to present the pitch, followed by a 5-minute Q&A from judges. The pitch rehearsal meeting is mandatory. Final time will be confirmed early November 2021.
What is the selection process?
The first round of judging will be led by G.H.Y. Culture & Media. Resulting in a shortlist of 10 semi-finalist projects from each pitch category, presented to Shortlist Judges.
The 10 semi-finalists for each project will be required to submit a Full Script for the theatrical/online movie pitch and an episodic synopsis + full scripts of the first 3 episodes for the online drama series pitch by 1 November 2021 (English scripts) / 8 November 2021 (Chinese scripts) to proceed to the 2nd round. All scripts at this stage will include a first-right-of-refusal T&C until 30 June 2023 (see FAQ & Rules & Regulations for full details).
The three finalist projects from each pitch category will then be selected to present “live” at ATF 2021 to a panel of judges. The final judging panel will be announced by August 2021.
When will the finalists be announced?
3 finalist projects from each pitch category selected for Live Pitch will be announced by Reed Exhibitions by 25 November 2021 on the ATF website and will be notified via email by Reed Exhibitions.
What will I get if I am selected as a finalist for 亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021?
- Visibility during live pitching in Singapore during ATF 2021
- Visibility in ATF communication and marketing tools (official conference programme, ATF website and social networks)
- Visibility in the ATF Show Daily magazine.
- A complimentary pass (1) per finalist (individual or company) to attend ATF Online+ 2021 (accessible until 30 June 2022).
- All finalists must enter into an option agreement regarding the selected project with the ATF Chinese Pitch sponsor, G.H.Y. Culture & Media, prior to ATF. Full terms and conditions will be given to you when your project is selected as a finalist.
What will the winner receive?
Subject to G.H.Y. Culture & Media's terms and conditions as notified in the further written agreement entered into with each finalist, the prize consists of three thousand five hundred Singapore dollars (S$3,500) for the winning pitch from each of the 2 categories.
A further opportunity will also be available to all 10 finalists from each of the 2 categories to have his/her script bought, collaborated on or have 3rd-party investors to greenlight the project. For those offered a straight up buyout (IP Rights), an amount of fifteen thousand Singapore dollars (S$15,000) will be offered.
Applicants accept that any decisions and/or rulings made by the judging panel in respect of the Prize will be binding and final. If for any reason 亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021 is delayed or cancelled or cannot be completed as planned, the judging panel reserves the right to postpone, suspend or terminate the final round and the Prize.
Who do I contact if I have questions related to my application?
How can I protect my idea by attending 亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021?
As you may know, copyright law will not protect a mere idea as such. It is only the original expression of your idea that can be protected. In principle, any one is free to take mere ideas, themes, facts, styles and techniques as these items are not considered copyrightable, and, therefore, belong to the public domain. Ideas are free as the air, as they say.
It is not the idea behind a concept that is protected – only the original expression of the idea can be a valid copyright protected work that can be owned by its creators and protected against copying. In other words, if you come up with a concept, you cannot stop someone else from copying the general idea behind your concept – you must be able to show that they actually copied more than just that general idea, that they copied something that presented an original expression of that idea.
That original expression is likely to be something written, acted, played, sung, painted, drawn, sculpted, designed, filmed – something that is expressed in a perceptible form. To attract copyright, this something must be original. The greater the originality, the more protection you can expect.
Where the act of creation has led to a work that is obviously a novel and unique creation, the copyright will be treated as relatively “thick”. Where the act of creation is minor – as in the adaptation or compilation of earlier work – the copyright will be seen as comparatively “thin”.
Sure, ideas are stolen – it does happen. Having said that, you may think the best protection of your ideas against theft is to hide your ideas away and never pitch them to anybody. However, as justified as your desire to protect your ideas against theft may be, if you’ll never pitch it, you’ll never sell it – and your project will never get made. A creator who wants to prevent anybody from seeing an idea and therefore never pitches it ends up nowhere. No pitch, no deal.
Pitching your stories / concepts at a pitching event can be a great opportunity for you to find potential partners with whom you can develop your project. Compared with usual face to face meetings, pitching to a broader audience may very well help you to protect your concept as peers in the trade who will be watching your pitch will see that this is yours – and hence you may establish some proof of ownership. No copier who was in the audience and saw your pitch may defend an act of plagiarism by saying that he didn’t know about your concept.
Obviously, there is no one method that will protect yourself against plagiarism, but a few suggestions can be put forward:
• Make your concept distinctive: The more detailed, the better.
The more you develop and elaborate your concept, the more it is expressed in detail, the easier it is to protect it against copying. Even when a bunch of ideas are somewhat similar to one another as they are just referring to certain trends or genres, the more detailed they are, the more unique they become. Most buyers will take the view that ideas are just a dime a dozen, what is really valuable is how you develop and execute your ideas.
• Do proper research: You can only conquer the market if you really have an innovative concept, something with a unique twist providing for originality which allows it to stand out – and not just a stereotypical idea that is well-known from other works within the genre.
If the novelty of your concept suffers because of similar scripts which have already hit the market, it is hard to stand out from the crowd. True innovation is hard to find, so be honest with yourself: Is your script really the kind of original and innovative concept with a commercial value that has to be paid for? If you have true innovation at hand, and if you are confident that you’ll deliver a great pitch, you will have success selling it.
• Number and date all your creative materials that you have prepared for the pitch, name the creators, and include a copyright notice (©), and register your creative materials with an acknowledged registration service before submitting it to 亚洲“妙”影视剧本创作 2021.